Tuesday, July 26, 2016

September Position and Updates to August Position


      As I said before, I put on my September position on Friday, July 22 with 56 days until expiration. The butterflies were placed at 1180 with the lower and upper wings at 1130 and 1230 respectively. I then bought a call at 1040 but that was not enough to offset the negative Delta of the butterfly so I added the vertical 1180/1200. Adding the vertical made the total Delta of the position -6 which is close to the ideal -5 starting Delta value for the M3 position. No updates have been necessary to the September position since Friday and the position is currently down $441.

Here is a risk profile graph from Friday:


            Now for the August position. Today, July 26, I moved half of my butterflies up to 1180 because the Vega value of the position was almost positive (only -6) and the market was 10 points above the upper wing. I also had to add the vertical 1180/1200 to reduce the negative Delta of the position from -57 to -45 which also increased the positive Theta and negative Vega. Having all the verticals of the position at 1180/1200 helps reduce the commission cost if this were a live trade. The position is currently down $53 and I see myself taking it down in the coming week since there are only 24 days until expiration.

The current risk profile graph looks like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment